Sipping on a fancy cocktail is one of life's little luxuries—until you've indulged in one too many and wake up the next day with a pounding headache. But what if you could experience all the relaxation and pleasure of a perfectly blended beverage without the ugly hangover? That's where weed-infused cocktails come in!
We've put together a collection of simple yet delicious DIY cannabis-infused drink recipes that will satisfy your craving for a flavorful, elevated libation without the booze. From herb-infused martinis to Mary Jane-friendly mules, you'll be reaching for a cannabis-spiked concoction instead of a stiff drink in no time.
What Are Weed-Infused Cocktail Recipes?
Weed-infused cocktails are drinks made with cannabis, either in the form of an infused spirit or tincture, to give them an added kick. These cocktails are made with the same ingredients as traditional drinks (minus the alcohol), but they also contain a dose of cannabis to give them an extra-relaxing vibe.
The amount of cannabis in each drink is typically small, so you can enjoy one (or two) without having to worry about an overwhelming high. It's always a good idea to start with a lower dose and gradually increase the amount you consume to find your ideal balance. Three grams of cannabis tincture per serving is a good starting point.
When it comes to obtaining cannabis for your weed-infused cocktails, you have a few options. Many dispensaries and retailers offer pre-made cannabis tinctures or infused spirits that can easily be added to your cocktails. Most people prefer to make their cannabis cocktails without alcohol, but you can combine the two if you like—just remember to start with a low dose.
And if you want to get real mix-y, you can also make your own alcohol infusion with a particular strain of cannabis, depending on the type of effect you want to achieve. Royal Queen Seeds has a great guide on making your own cannabis-infused vodka.
DIY Cocktail Recipes With Cannabis
Ready to get crafting? Here are five easy weed-infused recipes (using both tinctures and cannabis-infused spirits) that you can whip up in minutes.
Watermelon Cannabis Margarita
This sweet and tangy frozen margarita is the perfect summertime treat—and oh-so-easy to make. Blend together some fresh watermelon cubes, lime juice, agave syrup, sparkling water, and a couple (key word here) drops of cannabis tincture for a flavorful and refreshing beverage. You can find the full recipe from Proof Cannabis here.
Another divinely fresh and tasty sipper from Proof Cannabis, this cucumber gimlet has just the right amount of zing and zest. Combine lime juice, simple syrup, muddled cucumbers, soda water, and a few drops of cannabis tincture to give it a kick. Perfect for hot summer evenings! You can find the full recipe here.
This classic and timeless drink (with a twist) from Ottawa bartender Shane Gifford requires a little more effort in the DIY department. Rather than just adding some tincture to your concoction, he recommends making your own cannabis-infused honey to mix with the gin and lemon juice. You can find the full recipe here and a quick guide on making cannahoney here.
Red Wine Sangria
This festive and fruity sangria from Emily Kyle is a great party starter. You'll need a bottle of your favorite red wine, oranges, lemons, frozen berries, cinnamon sticks, and an alcohol-based cannabis tincture. Muddle the fruit, mix in the tincture, wine, and cinnamon sticks, and let it all sit overnight in the fridge for a mega-flavorful experience. You can find the full recipe here.
Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Martini
Need a little something sweet after dinner? This chocolate martini from The Spot 420 is our kind of dessert. In addition to your favorite brand of vodka, you'll need some dark chocolate liqueur, Kahlua, half and half, and a few drops of cannabis tincture. Shake it all together and drizzle it with some chocolate syrup for a blissfully delicious indulgence. You can find the full recipe here.
Supplies For Making Weed-Infused Cocktails
Making delicious weed-infused cocktails is easier than ever before now that cannabis tinctures and infused spirits are widely available. Here's what you need to get started:
- Cocktail strainer: You don't want any bits or debris floating around in your drinks. Having a good strainer around helps you get rid of any unwanted matter.
- Cocktail shaker: Nothing beats the classic, polished look of a good ol' fashioned cocktail shaker. Perfect your mixology skills with this barroom essential.
- Jigger: Precise measurements are key for making cocktails and other mixed drinks—a jigger is perfect for getting accurate pours.
- Lidded jar: Some recipes need to be infused and mixed over hours or days, so you'll need a good lidded jar to keep your concoctions fresh.
- Glassware: For the perfect presentation, stock up on some classy glassware like martini glasses and rock tumblers. You'll be the host with the most.
- Cannabis tinctures: As mentioned, you'll need an alcohol-based cannabis tincture to make weed-infused cocktails. Pick one up from a trusted dispensary, or make your own!
- Cannabis-infused spirits: If you want to go beyond the basics, cannabis-infused spirits can really take your recipes to the next level. Look for vodka, gin, whiskey and rum infused with THC or CBD.
- Blender: Some recipes call for some blending and muddling. A good blender is great for this purpose—and can also be used to make smoothies, shakes, and more.
- Muddler: Muddling is a key technique for creating delicious and complex layered flavors. A good muddler will help you release the maximum potential of your ingredients.
- Ice: Last but not least, some recipes call for a good amount of ice. Stock up on cubed or crushed ice to make sure you can serve your drinks cold and refreshing every time.
With these supplies on hand, you'll be ready to make any kind of weed-infused cocktail your heart desires from the comfort of your own home.
To Sum It Up
Making weed-infused cocktails is a great way to enjoy your favorite drink and get a nice buzz in the process. Whether you're looking for something fruity, spicy, or sweet—there are plenty of recipes out there to try. All you need is some basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. So, get your shakers and stirrers ready—it's time to start crafting some cannabis-infused cocktails. Cheers!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much weed tincture should you put in a drink?
When infusing a cocktail with a weed tincture, it’s smart to start small. Add 6-12 drops (or up to 0.25 mL) to your beverage for a gentle, manageable high. This dosage is equivalent to 5 mg.
What is the best alcohol to infuse with cannabis?
You have two options when crafting a cannabis cocktail: use a tincture in place of alcohol or alongside it. The best alcohol to infuse with cannabis is distilled, such as vodka or gin.
What is the best temperature for infusing cannabis with alcohol?
When infusing your alcohol with cannabis, you’ll want to heat your alcohol up to 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit using the double boiler method. Because alcohol begins to evaporate around 170 degrees, using a double boiler helps to safely raise the heat without losing any volume.