Weed pipes are popular smoking devices, providing a great alternative when you don't feel like using rolling papers. There are many types of weed pipes, including one-hitters, bongs, bowls, etc. The only caveat is that most pipes are factory-made, and thus, they come at a relatively higher price. But, you need not worry; pipes are one of the simplest inventions for smoking the cannabis flower, and you can make a DIY weed pipe using various household items. Like most fun activities, making a pipe only involves air and holes.
This article provides simple do-it-yourself pipe procedures, how to use one, and the practices you might want to avoid when making a pipe. But first, it would be best to have a better understanding of what a weed pipe is.
What is a Weed Pipe?
A weed pipe is a small, simple, handheld device used for smoking cannabis products. It features a bowl-shaped component on one end, where users place ground cannabis flowers, light them, and smoke. In between the bowl and the mouthpiece is the neck (also known as a stem or chamber) through which users inhale the smoke into the lungs. A pipe also features a carb – a small hole on the side, usually by the bowl – that users cover and uncover regularly to regulate airflow during inhalation.
Types of Pipes
There's a wide range of pipes, and they come in different sizes, shapes, colors, and designs (some even crafted with inspiration from literature and films). The common ones include:
- Hand pipes – Also referred to as "spoons," hand pipes sit in the palm of your hand, and as explained above, you place the cannabis flower in the bowl, light it, and smoke it from the mouthpiece through the neck. Most hand pipes are made of glass, although you won't be hard-pressed to find ceramic, wooden, or metallic options.
- One-hitters – Also called chillums, one-hitters are small smoking devices, measuring 2-4 inches or 5-10 inches long and shaped like a tube with a mouthpiece on one end and a small opening on the other end, where users place their cannabis flower. As their name suggests, they only hold enough cannabis for one hit.
- Steamrollers – A steamroller combines characteristics from a hand pipe and a one-hitter. It is cylindrical like a one-hitter but borrows specific features – such as a larger bowl and a carb – from a hand pipe. The differentiating factor between a steamroller and a hand pipe is the open area of the steamroller, which facilitates greater airflow.
- Pop-culture-inspired pipes – Other types of pipes derive their characteristics from films and literature. Examples include the Sherlock pipe, which is inspired by the fictional detective "Sherlock Holmes" and characterized by a long-curved shape, and the Gandalf pipe (associated with the wizard Gandalf from the "Lord of the Rings" movie series). It looks like the Sherlock pipe, except it's significantly longer.
How to Use a Weed Pipe
Using a pipe is a straightforward means of smoking cannabis. The following are steps for smoking weed using a pipe.
- Take a small amount of cannabis flower and grind it using your hands or a grinder
- Pack the cannabis into the pipe's bowl. Don't overpack the bowl, because packing it too tightly limits airflow, making it difficult to smoke.
- Hold the pipe in your palm and place your thumb over the carb on the side of the bowl. If you're using a one-hitter, you don't have to worry about that as there's no carb to cover.
- Spark your lighter close to the bowl's surface whilst covering the card with your thumb. That draws the flame to the bowl, heating the cannabis and creating the smoke to inhale through the neck.
- Once the cannabis starts to combust and cherry, remove the flame from the bowl. You can keep the cherry burning by covering and uncovering the carb with a tapping motion as you inhale.
- Exhale and repeat the procedure until you've smoked all the cannabis to get "high" you want.
How to Make a Weed Pipe
Making a weed pipe from scratch is fun and delivers a unique smoking experience. You can use various items to make a weed pipe, and the method and the ancillary tools you use at home depend on the items you choose. Let's now get into some of the common methods of making a weed pipe at home.
Apple Weed Pipe
An apple is perhaps the most iconic DIY weed pipe method. It's easy and fun to make; not to mention it laces your cannabis smoke with a sweet, zesty apple flavor.
- 1 ripe apple
- Knife, screwdriver, car keys, or any tool you can use to poke a hole
- Take your ripe apple and twist off the stem to create a natural bowl on top of the apple.
- Using a knife, screwdriver, car keys (or whatever you got), poke a hole at the top where the stem was and press it to the center.
- Poke a hole in the side of the apple, which will act as your mouthpiece. Connect the hole to the first vertical hole you made to form an L-shaped tunnel. If you want a carb, push the mouthpiece all the way through to the other side.
- Fill the top with dry, ground cannabis, and enjoy your hits.
If you don't have access to an apple, you can use other fruits and vegetables as alternatives. They include:
- Zucchini; or
- Anything that can allow you to make an L-shaped air tunnel
The Tic-Tac Bong
A Tic-Tac bong is technically a water pipe. This portable homemade pipe is simple and fun to make. The only material you need is an empty Tic-Tac box.
- Poke a hole on one side about halfway up the box and insert a thin hollow tube (such as a straw) until the end inside the empty box touches the bottom. For a grommet, use modeling clay or a rubber washer.
- Make a cone-shaped bowl by molding a piece of aluminum foil and place it on the straw's opening that's sticking outside the box.
- Fill the box with water and pack ground cannabis into the bowl. Light up the cannabis and inhale through the opening on top of the box. The smoke will go through the water, producing bubbles while you inhale. This action provides an enjoyable experience as the water filters and cools down the smoke.
If you don't have any fruit/vegetables or a Tic-Tac container, you can use a pen to make a weed pipe. Although using a pen is a little convoluted compared to other DIY methods, it's quite discreet.
- Find a pen that you can easily disassemble, preferably one that doesn't have a plastic top.
- Take out the ink tube so that you only have the pen cone
- Take the nib and place it backwards – in the opposite direction. The nib should create a V- or cone-shaped bowl.
- Fill the bowl with cannabis, light it up, and inhale using the open end of the tube as your mouthpiece.
Things to Avoid When Making a DIY Weed Pipe
It's essential to know the elements and practices you should avoid when making a homemade weed pipe. The following are some of the items to avoid or materials you need to use carefully when making a do-it-yourself weed pipe:
- Plastic bowls – You mustn't use plastic bowls; this is crucial because plastic is not a heat-resistant material and it will melt when heated. When this occurs, plastic releases toxic fumes that can harm your respiratory tract. You can use a plastic material for the neck/stem, but for the bowl, it would be best to use a metal or any other non-plastic material.
- Choose food items carefully – While fruit and vegetables are some of the easily available food items for making a homemade pipe, you should carefully choose them. Ensure that the fruit or vegetable you use is not rotten, wrinkled, or mushy. What you need is a sturdy and ripe body. Clumsy or mushy food items will collapse and make the entire procedure uncomfortable and unsuccessful.
- Screening material – Screens are used to keep the cannabis in the bowl where it can burn wholly. They also keep ash and unwanted gunk from entering your smoke, preventing these by-products from ruining your smoking experience or burning your mouth or throat. Therefore, ensure you also use a screen with the weed pipe you make. Some great options include metal, glass, or titanium. Many DIYers use aluminum, and while it's the most easily accessible material at home, it's not the safest option to use.
Most people get the notion that making a DIY weed pipe is a desperate approach, but with many methods to use, it is an activity to share with your stoner friends for fun while exploring various homemade pipes. Making a pipe successfully gives you a sense of achievement and a unique smoking experience. The only issue is that each of the above methods provides a one-time solution. Hence, it would help to stock up on factory-made pipes, so you don't have to always rely on homemade options.
Are you searching for the perfect smoking device that resonates with your personality and style? Vessel Brands is your trusted partner; we have a wide range of high-function smoking devices, tools, and accessories, from pen style vapes and one-hitters to ashtrays, cables, base chargers, and lighters. Reach us via email@example.com today and our representatives will be more than glad to help you choose the best Vessel product.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I smoke a pipe with no carb?
Smoking weed from a pipe with no carb is not entirely different from smoking from a pipe with a carb. The only dissimilarity is that a carbless pipe requires a slightly harder pull to draw the smoke through the stem. When using a pipe with no carb, you should also expect to lose smoke that dissipates from the bowl as the cherry burns.
What's the difference between a piece, bowl, and pipe?
A "piece" is a collective term used to describe a pipe or any other crafted smoking device. A bowl is the opening on one end of a pipe where a cannabis flower is placed, although the term is commonly used synonymously with pipe to describe the whole piece.
How much is a weed pipe?
A weed pipe typically costs $20-$35, depending on the brand, pipe material, and other factors. Still, it's not uncommon to find other elaborate and custom pieces going for $100 or more.